The LA Auto Show, the LA Times, and Be Your Own Auto Critic



Hey, a chance to see what's happening in the automotive world and it starts today on my birthday!?!? Woo hoo, it's the LA Auto Show! I am particularly pleased that this will be the World Debut of the Porsche Boxster Spyder! I love all things Porsche and I will take a Boxster in a pinch. Other cars set to launch their North American debut include the Audi R8 Spyder, Jaguar XJ, Lexus LF-A, Mercedes SLS AMG ( A vintage Gullwing throwback), and the Rolls-Royce Ghost.

At least automotive design is thriving and making the best of a bad economic situation. The Auto Show did happen to stop in my hometown and the only highlight was the free parking after being comped admission. I was pleased to see the Porsche Panamera, while I admired its "uniqueness" and surprising height for being the sedan of the 911 world.

We all rely on media sources for info and news that we can use. In reviewing the horrendous recall by Toyota, I was further horrified that LA Times business contributor, Martin Zimmerman, cited a former Lexus owner's fear forcing the purchase of a Buick Acadia. Hmmm...a Buick Acadia, is that the new name for a Buick & GMC hybrid!?!? Did GM sell its very own GMC to Buick (and not at a profit, of course)? I think not, and I hate to find fault with a minor error, such as the correct make and model of a vehicle (GMC Acadia), but hey!!! This is an automotive safety article in the business section of the LA Times! A sad case of a fact checker skipping a box on the fact checking checklist, but I digress...be sure to look for the new Hummer Solstice and Pontiac H2 Alpha at dealerships (and sadly, brands) that don't exist.



Lastly, my 6th grade fondness of Car&Driver has lead me to find one of the best features ever in their 10Best issue. A chance to be an automotive reviewer (p29). Sure it looks like a Mad Libs form, but hey, who can resist a compelling review of a 1998 Nissan Maxima or that 1997 Jeep Wrangler (4 cylinder version, of course)? Not me, I cannot wait to get this adjective and adverb party started!
















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ad of the week

For the birds courtesy of Ford!